Friday, 2 August 2013

June Favourites - Holiday Packing

Belated yes, but I will not be beat!  June's Favourites are going to be a holiday-cum-packing themed post (and I am squeezing this in before my July Favourites, yes I am).

I secretly enjoy a wee bit of packing.  Granted, unpacking is a different story and I am trying to ignore that carry-on glaring at me from the floor right now...  I like the smug feeling of packing just the right amount of the right thing.  This year I was quite strict on what I brought as we were sharing a backpack due to crazy airline charges and also because we knew we had to haul it on and off trains, planes, boats and buses.  I wore everything I brought and didn't overdo it on shoes and haircurlers like last year!    I am going to show you my favourite bits of suncare, skincare and makeup that I brought that I would recommend.

In My Travel Makeup Bag
 L-R: Mac Studio Fix Concealer, Benefit High Beam, Colour Club Nail Lacquer, Jane Iredale BB Sample, Revlon Matte Smoked Peach Lipstick, Fresh Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Balm

I adore this little makeup bag I bought last year on holiday in Bosnia and it's a great travel size.  It is also being sold in a gift boutique near me for £10 and I got mine for about £1 so it makes me feel thrifty!   In addition to this I brought my Urban Decay Naked palette, a sample of the new Chanel mascara (it's brilliant!), Bare Minerals powder, some blusher and an eyeliner.  The small sizes of the BB sample and mini high beam etc. meant I didn't have any bulky bottles to pack.
 
Mac Studio Fix Concealer - They only thing that covers my acne and scars and a great colour in NW15.  I only wish the full coverage foundation came in this shade as I go through so many pots of this.
Benefit High Beam - my favourite highlighter for my pale skin.  Great travel size as it came in a palette.  A bit of shimmer is always required for a summer holiday evening!
Colour Club - this is the brightest coral I have ever found.  I received it in my birchbox so it was a perfect small size to bring for touch-ups and if you can't go neon on holiday out of Ireland, when can you!?
Jane Iredale Dreamtime BB Cream, Shade 3 - too dark for me normally but was much better than my paler foundations for when I got some colour.  SPF and moisturising qualities made it a useful multiuse product for travelling.  Great coverage.  I had wanted to try a more natural BB for a while and ordered this sample pot online.  It lasted me the full 2 weeks as a little went a long way and the wee pot is tiny so was great to travel with.
Revlon Matte Lipstick in Smoked Peach - adore!  I bought this after seeing it on Emma's blog: Ol' Green Eyes as it looked great on her pale skin.  I find coral and peach hard to wear although I adore it but this is a great shade.  Being matte it looks wonderfully retro but isn't drying at all.  For the price of them I am a huge fan of the Revlon lipsticks.
Fresh Tinted Lip Balm - My favourite thing!  This helpfully had SPF 15, was very moisturising, tastes lovely and the natural, rosy colour is gorgeous.  A tinted lip balm also has the nostalgia factor of reminding you of holidays when you were 14 and the only makeup you brought was a lipsmacker! Also a Birchbox find and lovely, small travel size.
 
Travel Skincare
 L-R:  Taaj Makeup Remover,  Caudalíe Eau de Beauté, Elemental Herbology Facial Hydrator, Sudocrem
 
Taaj Eau Micellaire: Worked as my general makeup remover and eye makeup remover in one.  Small bottle that came free with purchase of a bigger one in Paris last year.  I love this as much, if not more, than Bioderma.
Caudalíe Eau de Beauté: Mentioned in my last monthly favourites.  Refreshing in the heat, while sunbathing, travelling on planes and great after cleansing as toning.  It's almost finished :(
Elemental Herbology Cell Plumping Facial Hydrator SPF 8:  Birchbox so great size again!  Smells beautiful and wasn't too heavy plus an extra bit of SPF.  Doesn't break me out.
Sudocrem: Irish holiday must have! This handy wee tube was great on sunburn and mosquito bites.
 
I also brought my Eve Lom cleanser which had very little left so I finished it and was able to leave the pot behind leaving room for souvenir purchases...
 
Suncare


L-R: Caudalie SPF 20 Sunscreen, Dove Summer Glow Nourishing Lotion, Caudalie SPF 30 Anti-Ageing Face Sunscreen, Caudalie Divine Body Oil
 
Caudalíe Sunscreens:  These were a wonderful find in Debenhams before I went away.  The body and face sunscreen were reduced to £7 each as opposed to the £20 and upwards prices in Space NK so I couldn't resist.  I would probably have been better with a higher factor on my body as I needed to reapply this a lot so I didn't burn but I got my first light, natural tan ever this year and these were great products that didn't feel sticky or overly scented.
Dove Summer Glow:  The 'Fair to Medium Skin' shade is perfect on me.  I only brave tanners about two or three times a year on my legs and arms.  Most are too dark on me, I am terrified of streaks, I loathe the fake tan smell and I am also fine with being pale and interesting.  This didn't have a strong smell though and used a few times gave an even colour I was impressed with having forked out for the St Tropez gradual tanner a few times.
Caudalíé Divine Oil: Just because it was a travel size again and it worked great for nourishing as an after sun and in my hair.
Holiday Reads
 
'Instructions For A Heatwave' Maggie O'Farrell:  On Kindle!  Although this wasn't my absolute favourite from her, I love Maggie O'Farrell and this is a good, easy read.  Descriptions of sticky hot days and people's heat affected behaviour was very fitting.
'The Unbearable Lightness of Being' Milan Kundera:  Bought as a gift to myself in a bookshop in Prague.  After all, one should read some Kafka or Kundera when in the Czech Republic right?  Well, if one is a tad pretentious then one definitely should. 
'NW' Zadie Smith:  I loved Zadie Smith's 'On Beauty' and 'White Teeth'.  This is written in a beautiful lyrical, flowing style.
'This House is Haunted' John Boyne:  The Irish author of 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', this is a gothic, Victorian style ghost story.  I was especially charmed because my Mummy got me a signed copy when I was feeling ill and I've never had anything signed for me before!
'Dead and Gone' Charlaine Harris:  I am not ashamed that I brought a vampire book on holiday as holidays are a time for guilty pleasures.  It's only not photographed because the pages fell out on the beach when the glue binding melted in the sun!  I am not hiding it out of shame.  Vampire fiction lover and proud...sort of.
 
 Travel Journals
I always like to pack a notebook for scrawling down directions and anything else.  I endeavour to keep rough journal entries of our trips as I have enjoyed reading them back before.  I did well this time and ended up writing on night trains and other weird and wonderful places.  This beautiful Florentine notebook I bought in Florence, of course.  I got this lovely cotton blue one in Prague for my next adventure, I hope.
Bikinis
Normally, this word strikes fear in my heart but this year I loved my swimwear.
Bikini one: a £5 Primark top.  I love monochrome and I love underwiring and structure as I find it more flattering for my shape.  I paired this with black ruffled skirt bottoms bought from Asos last year and it had a retro style I loved and gave me a better shape than triangle tops etc.
 
Bikini two: My indulgence was this 60s print bikini from Floozie by Frost French.  It was 20% off and the most I've ever spent on swimwear considering it's normally Asos mix and match £5 seperates.  The pattern reminded me of Mad Men...when they go to Hawaii and the underwire and fit was really flattering.
As with all swimwear, a certain amount of devil may care attitude is required to really embrace it!

 Let me know what books you have been reading this summer and things you have been loving!  Also, let me know if you would like to see more beauty product mini reviews like this in my monthly favourite posts?
xox

24 comments:

  1. You look like a pin-up girl in that fabulous bikini looking out to sea! Love the make-up bag and divine notebook, too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous items...looks like a wonderful holiday time xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your makeup bag is so pretty, and I love all of your beauty products! Sugar lips is the best!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your sweet comment!
    I envy you so much right now because I didn't went to the seaside yet this year. I'm so happy you've enjoyed your staying in Croatia, unfortunatelly, I've never been to Ireland but I have a HUGE wish to come some day, I think it's kind of magical country...

    I will stop by again, for sure!

    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahh this is making me want to go travelling, haha. i love caudalie products, especially the beauty elixir. and i thought exactly the same thing about prague so when i was there a few years ago i was reading kafka at the time, haha. and i just finished re-reading the unbearable lightness (i read it years and years ago so i didn't remember too much of it) and it was so beautiful and sad and wonderful. a great choice! :)

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness I love your bright peach nail polish and your bikini is perfection!!!

    Love, polly :)
    pollybland.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many pretty things. Love that color club shade. And u just bought caudalie beauty elixir and I'm beyond obsessed. It's so fantastic! You got me wanting to try the divine oil!
    Kallie, www.butfirstcoffeeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely photos! Also, you have such great handwriting! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog :) Following you now!

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for your sweet words, they made my day!
    The Revlon lipstick is so stunning and the bikini simply perfect!
    Let's stay in touch!

    Have a great week,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, sharing a backpack?! you're a better woman than me Susan! looking forward to seeing where you went on this summer's holiday, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you like Smoked Peach too! I love Sudocrem, Beauty Elixir, Divine Oil and High Beam too, thanks for the other mini reviews, it was great to read your thoughts on these products. Your bikini is so cute!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love a chance to see inside someone's make up bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. With this luggage you'll have a great summer! But of course best things in life/summer aren't things!:P

    Greetz from Poland,

    Natalie from all-is-pretentious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh those bikinis look great on you (body envy) and that peach lipstick sounds perfect!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking like that you should be wearing a bikini every day! I love the sound of some of these books. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are stunning! I love your style! I am intrigued by you. Great pics and nice choice in your beauty collection. I am going to be a copy cat and start writing a daily journal. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your blog and welcome to FABB! I'm a fellow fabber. I love your choice of books. I'm reading Atonement even thought I know the ins and out of it. lol I love that striped bikini, I'm a striped fanatic. Proudly your new follower, I hope you can come over to my blog to check it out. xx

    http://www.thereddutchess.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not going to lie, I love packing as well! There's something so satisfying about it and it gets me excited for the trip, haha. I love your striped bikini!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That makeup bag is gorgeous! Love cute little prints you find in other countries.

    www.skinandroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. notebook is super cute, love floral :)




    My new post: http://linselfportrait.blogspot.pt/2013/08/floral-summer-sheinside-wishlist.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. so glad for you that you endu up going on holidays! The sea is amazingly blue wow O.o Light packing is so liberating and it's so nice to be able to fit more souvenirs and gifts at the end of a trip! xmoira

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi - wow that blog is soo pretty <3 I love the colours. xxx Lucky you for ending up on holiday, i want too but i'm about to buy a place.

    http://www.annanuttall.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your stripped bikini. so cool.

    xoxo
    Ivy
    http://www.purrpleivy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your blog, our adventure seem so amazing

    would love it if you checked out my blog. http://mimithecloakroom.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails