Sunday, 18 November 2012

Death Must Be So Beautiful

How I wish I was back in Paris! It has been an unsettling few weeks. So much so, that it feels like Paris happened in another life. So, here are a few photographs to remind me...

I finally visited the Pere Lachaise cemetery. It's a bit odd photographing a cemetery but lots of tourists were being snap happy so I felt a bit better and tried to be respectful. At least I didn't stand inside the door of a mausoleum and do a thumbs up pose for a picture. Honestly, watching other tourists take photos is a great past time! It's like a city of the dead with it's imposing tombs and winding cobble stoned lanes. In the film, Paris Je T'aime, they don't exaggerate how confusing navigating your way around this place is. We probably should have invested in the maps sold at the door but decided to be thrifty and stick with our 80s Michelin city guide..not our smartest move!

Like the movie, we wanted to find our fellow Irishman Oscar Wilde's grave. Also, Chopin (though his heart is in Warsaw) and songbird Edith Piaf. They put up this glass to stop people kissing Wilde's headstone. I don't mind lipsticking the glass though..not as disrespectful a way to share the love!







I find cemeteries fascinating. Filled with history and energy and, in this case, hauntingly beautiful (no pun intended!).  It was a perfect place to visit so close to Halloween and it gave me one of the most beautiful views of the Eiffel Tower I've seen, framed in autumnal beauty.
Skirt - Cos     Blouse - Maison Scotch    Jacket - Paul and Joe Sister     Hat - Dunnes    Tights - Falke      Boots - Dune

I love this Cos Skirt but I keep needing to sew hooks into the waistband to make it smaller as I find Cos to be big fitting.  It's worth it for the leather waistband though.  I'm wearing many shades of plums and pinks here, more than I would at home but on holiday anything goes!  Eating a quick croissant for breakfast before we started our trek...
I love wearing hats in Autumn and Winter.  It's one positive side to the weather getting cooler.
We almost never saw Jim Morrison's grave as our Michelin guide obviously did not think highly enough of The Doors to put Jim on the map.  However, I took a few random turns to see if it was meant to be and fate did it's job.  Ah, Paris!  
I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.  I saw the final Twilight film and am only a tiny bit ashamed to say I loved it...vampires are a guilty pleasure.

xox

14 comments:

  1. Que bonitas fotos, de verdad que bonita vista de la Torre Eiffel. Yo iré a ver crepúsculo mañana, todo mundo habla muy bien de esta entrega. Gracias por compartir. Quiero invitarte a conocer un poco de mi país en estas increibles fotografias, muévete a verlas, valen la pena. Besos y besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, i love the last photo the most! Pretty eyes! x

    thenuliya.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete
  3. such lovely photographs on this post! oh, how i would love to adventure here! i bet your time is lovely spent in this place!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderfully lovely photos - I especially adore how vibrant and gloriously pretty your eyes look in the last one.

    I've never been to Paris myself, but often daydream about it, and like to believe I'll get at some distant point in time. I likewise hope that you're able to return, if it's a place that continue to call to your heart and soul, dear gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very nice blog you have here!
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have to say i definitely underestimated how confusing navigating my way around that cemetery would be as well! i didn't buy a map when i went either, so i also didn't manage to find most of the graves that i was wanting to visit, haha. if i go back to there again i'll make sure i just spend the money on a map and make my visit more worthwhile!

    littlehenrylee

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a long time since I last hung out there. Exquisite pictures and I love your purple hat. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the purple hat on you, so perfect for Paris. It's funny, I just found a camel hat today that is very similar. great minds think alike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I'd love to check out that famous cemetery! I love Edith Piaf. That purple hat is quite awesome lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it's quite well known that place but I never visited. They might be fascinating but to me, it doesn't seem like a day out for me personally, so I have always decided not to visit that cemetery when visiting Paris. Looks like your visit was good though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you kidding me? These photos belong in a postcard! So beautiful!

    And I love photographing cemetaries. I have no clue why.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is beautiful. Def follow! I love that quote too 'we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars'. It's so perfect :') And those photos are insanely pretty. Really lovely post! Really like your blog too. If you're ever passing through mine, do say hi :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photographs and I love your cloche hat! I am Buddhist so I believe that cemetaries are some of the most peaceful places you can find. Lovely to find your blog too!
    May xx
    www.walkinginmay.blogspot.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/walkinginmay.blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your purple hat and I agree cementeries are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails